Friday, December 5, 2008

Penuche

I loved this when I was a little girl and on into my teenage years. Even after I was married, my Mom would make this for me at Christmas.

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup light cream
1/3 cup milk
2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 nuts, optional
Butter a 9 in. square baking dish. Butter the sides of a heavy 2-qt. saucepan.
Combine sugars, cream, milk and butter in saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugars dissolve and mixture comes to a boil. Cook to soft ball stage( 238 degrees on candy thermometer ), stirring only if necessary. Immediately remove from heat and cool to lukewarm (110 degrees ). DO NO STIR.
Add vanilla and beat vigorously until very thick and mixture starts to lose its gloss. Quickly stir in nuts and spread into prepared baking dish. Score while warm and cut when firm.

5 comments:

hillenblogshappywife said...

Is this the same thing as divinity?

Hillengrandma said...

NO, it is not divinity.

Hillengrandma said...

NO, it is not divinity.

Hillengrandma said...

NO, it is not divinity.

Hillengrandma said...

I have no idea what happened. I am sure you didn't need this many answers. Sorry!