Monday, June 23, 2008

Bread Pudding

1 1/3 cups Eagle Brand condensed milk
3 cups hot water
2 cups 1/2 inch cubes or pieces of 2 day old bread
3 eggs,slightly beaten
1 Tbsp. melted butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
Into large-sized mixing bowl combine Eagle Brand milk and hot water. Add bread and let stand until mixture is likewarm. Stir in next 4 ingredients. Turn into greased 1 1/2 qt. casserole or baking dish. Put casserole into a shallow pan. Fill pan with hot water to depth of 1 inch. Bake in 350 degree oven for about 1 hour. Can add raisins or coconut before baking.

4 comments:

rachel said...

Bread pudding is my absolute favorite thing to get at the Heritage. I've never tried making it myself but I will be using your recipe when I do.

Anonymous said...

I love bread pudding! When I was a little girl my Grandma Thompson would always give it to me hot with a scoop of vanilla ice cream melting all over it. Looks like I'll be making your recipe and taking her some. :)
Sarah Thompson-Kelley

Hillengrandma said...

I, too, love Bread Pudding. It is hard to find really good bread pudding. I think this one tastes very good. It is not quite like what my Mom used to make, but I don't have home made bread to put in it. That does make a difference. Sarah, hope your Grandmother enjoys it. I think that is very sweet of you to take her some.

Anonymous said...

I made this last night, very yummy! I never thought I'd be able to make bread pudding, thanks!

htuck