Saturday, August 30, 2008

Apple Dumplings

I have given the recipe for pie crust on a previous blog.
Peel, core and slice 5 or 6 apples into a bowl of salted cold water. I always use Golden Delicious. They are my favorite and give a good product.

Roll out pastry a little less than 1/8" thick and about 7 " square.
Take a small handful of the sliced apples and place in middle of square. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Dot with butter. Bring opposite points of pastry up over the apple. Overlap, moisten, and seal. Lift carefully, place a little apart in baking dish. Continue making dumplings until you have amount wanted. You may have to peel more apples and make up more cinnamon and sugar mix.
To fill dumplings: Use 1 cup sugar mixed with 1/2 tsp. cinnamon. Sprinkle about 2 to 3 Tbsp. over apples before wrapping dumpling.

After all dumplings are wrapped, pour boiling syrup over all and bake at 350 degrees for approx. 1 hour.
Syrup:
For 12 dumplings: For 8 dumplings:
3 cups sugar 2 cups sugar
6 cups water 4 cups water
1 stick butter or margarine 6 Tbsp. butter or margarine
3/4 tsp. cinnamon 3/4 tsp. cinnamon

Mix all together and boil for 3 min. Pour over dumplings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say thank you so much for your blog! Saturday night I had company and my whole menu came from your blog! I made Green Enchiladas, Corn Casserole, Deviled Eggs and Easy Peach Cobbler for dessert! Everything was DELICIOUS and I got thumbs up from all! Thanks for helping me glorify God in cooking and serving others!

Oh...and what was great about these dishes was that they could all be made ahead and ready to bake right before company arrives. That way you don't have a sink full of pots and pans right at the last minute!

This is really a great blog! I appreciate your faithfulness to have a variety of new, delicious, easy recipes at the blogging world's disposal! What blessing!

In Christ alone,
Cindy Holcomb :)