Thursday, January 22, 2009

Home Made Salad Dressing

Today I was taking a walk down "memory lane" by looking through a recipe box that belonged to my maternal grandmother, Delores Jackson Matthews. I found it very interesting and thought I would post a few of her recipes. A lot of the recipes are some that she has cut from a newspaper, and I finally found one dated 1935. That would give you an indication of the age of some of these recipes. My grandmother was a very sweet lady. She was a nurse and a pastor's wife. I never, ever heard my grandmother say an unkind word about anybody. Sure wish the same could be said about me. Hope you enjoy these recipes for the next few days.

Four egg yolks
One-third cup sugar
One-half teaspoon salt
One-fourth teaspoon paprika
One-fourth teaspoon dry mustard
One-fourth teaspoon celery salt
Three tablespoons flour
One-third cup vinegar
Two-thirds cup water
One tablespoon butter
Beat yolks. Add dry ingredients, blend well. Add rest of ingredients. Cook very slowly, stirring constantly, until dressing becomes thick and creamy. Beat well. Cool. Pour into glass jar rinsed out of cold water. Cover and store in icebox.
When ready to use, thin dressing with sweet, sour or whipped cream or fruit juice.

I copied this just the way it was written. This was back before the time you could run to the store and buy a jar of salad dressing. I am glad we have it much easier now.

No comments: