Sunday, July 27, 2008

Stuffed Peppers

This is a recipe I remember my mom making when I was a little girl and all through my childhood. I didn't like the peppers then, only the stuffing, but love all of it now. Hope some of you will like it, too.

1 lb. rice, cooked according to pkg. directions
2 lbs. hamburger
2 (1 lb. cans ) tomatoes and juice
2 chopped onions
Salt
Mix all together. You do not cook any of this except the rice before stuffing the peppers.
Bring to a boil, a large pot of salted water. When it is boiling, put about 6 large clean, seeded green peppers in the water. Cook for 2 or 3 minutes until they start to soften. Dip into cold water so you can handle them and then stuff the insides with the above mixture. Lay them in a single layer in a casserole dish. Any extra stuffing can be poured in and around the peppers. Cover with foil. Bake about 1 hr. in a 350 degree oven. This makes a large portion. If you are not feeding too many, you might want to cut in half. My mom used to make this and she would only cook two peppers with the rest of the stuffing because only she and my dad liked the peppers. The rest of the family loved the taste the peppers gave to the stuffing but none of us liked the peppers.

No comments: