Sunday, November 23, 2008

Date Nut Candy Roll

I have never made this one myself. It is a candy that I remember from my childhood. We made it with black walnuts. We had walnut trees and my brother and sister and I picked up walnuts and hulled them and my Daddy would take them and sell them for us and we could split the money between the three of us kids. That was our money to buy each other and our parents presents for Christmas. It was hard work and we always had black, stained hands for several weeks. But, I can still remember the joy of being able to purchase a present with money I had earned for someone I loved. It truly is more blessed to give than to receive.

1 1/2 cups sugar
1/8 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 cup milk
1 Tbsp. butter

Cook to soft ball stage. Stir occasionally. Remove from heat. Add 1/2 cup ground dates and 1 cup ground walnuts. Beat until mixture thickens. Spread thin and sprinkle walnuts over top. Roll up in waxed paper and keep in refrigerator about a week. Then slice and enjoy.

No comments: