Thursday, October 23, 2008

How to cook dry Beans

Beans are cheap eating and extremely good for us. You can use Pintos, Black, Red, Navy, Great Northern or any other kind. When cooked this way, it almost eliminates any gastric distress. You can add a small piece of ham, or a hambone if desired. I usually cook them plain and just add a vegetable bouillon cube for flavor. This makes them a fat free dish.

1 lb. beans, look them carefully for rocks or clods of dirt. Wash carefully.
Put into large cooking pot and cover with 6 cups of water.
Bring to a boil, and boil for 2 minutes.
Drain completely.
Cover with 6 more cups of water.
Let stand overnite.
The following morning: Drain completely and cover with 6 more cups of water.
Bring to a boil, then lower heat and cook slowly until done, approximately 2-3 hours.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made beans but added more water because I was doing them in the crock pot while I was at work and didn't want them to go dry. So Mark thinks they should have been thicker, do you have a way to thicken beans?

Hillengrandma said...

No, unless you just pour off some of the water. It is the slow cooking that thickens them and makes the good juice. I checked my crock-pot book and it says to presoak the beans overnite, which is what you did if you cooked them by my recipe and says to add about the same amount of water as I said . It did say to cook them on high for 3 hours and them lower to low heat for the rest of the day. I just have never tried to cook them in the crock-pot. You might let them soak all day and them cook them on the stove in the evening for the next night's dinner. Hope this helps.

Becky said...

Okay well this explains why my beans were crunchy... I had never cooked beans before. There are so many times I need to call you to find out how to cook things.

BEC