Thursday, May 8, 2008

Italian Cream Cake

Today's recipe is in honor of my daughter, Becky Liles, Missionary to Italy. Italian Cream Cake is one of her favorites. For those of you that have been praying for Becky and family, they have arrived safely, luggage and all. Thanks for your prayers.

1 Cup buttermilk
1 tsp. soda
5 eggs, separated
2 cups sugar
1 stick margarine
1/2 cup Crisco
2 cups sifted flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup coconut
1 cup pecans
Combine soda and buttermilk. Let stand. Beat egg whites til stiff. Cream sugar, margarine, and Crisco. Add 1 egg yolk at a time beating after each. Add flour and buttermilk alternately. Add vanilla. Fold in egg whites. Gently stir in coconut and nuts. Bake in 325 degree oven for 25 min. Makes 3 large layers.

Cream Cheese Frosting:
8 oz. cream cheese
1 stick margarine
1 tsp. vanilla
Enough powdered sugar to make it stiff enough to frost. Beat til smooth.

4 comments:

Becky said...

Okay haven't had this cake here yet but I am sure that there is no way it could be better than yours. "OH, I love that cake."
BEC

The G's said...

Hi! We are friends of Jon and Becky. Jon's dad was our pastor in KS and then we moved to Northern VA and Jon worked at out church. I love reading your blog. I also love to cook and look forward to making some of your recipes. Becky is also an amazing cook and now I know where she gets it. We are praying for them! Thanks for letting me stop in! Deb

Hillengrandma said...

Deb,
I am pretty sure I remember you. Didn't you play the piano at Knollwood? As I remember, you are real tall and very pretty. Thanks for your nice compliments. I am having a ball with this blog. I never dreamed I would ever do such a thing, but it is so much fun. Stop by every day if you like.

The G's said...

You do remember me! I am so honored! I will stop by everyday! I can't wait to see what you will post next. Please stop by and visit my blog. Blessings to you and your family!
Deb