Saturday, May 10, 2008

Strawberry Shortcake

Today I will pay honor to my Mom. She was a wonderful cook and I grew up eating this fantastic Strawberry Shortcake. As a girl, her mom always made shortcake with pie crust crumbled in a bowl with strawberries over it. But my Dad liked sweetened biscuit dough shortcake so she always made this for him and for my brother, sister, and me. Of course, growing up on a farm, we picked our own strawberries, and had fresh cream from the cow to put on it. Yum! Yum! There is no wonder I have always had a weight problem!!!! My Mom is still alive and lives in a nursing home. She has dementia but it is not so bad that she can not remember all of the fun we used to have on the farm. We spend lots of time reminiscing. She is a wonderful Mom and is always smiling and happy. I thank God for her.

2 cups flour
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/3 cup sugar
Heaping soup spoon of shortening (probably about 1/4 cup)
Take fork and stir around until somewhat blended
About 1 cup milk
Blend all together
Into a greased 9 x9 pan, put about 1/2 of the dough. Using fingers dipped in flour, gently pat out the dough to edges of pan. Cover lightly with melted margarine. Repeat process with rest of dough finishing with melted margarine on top. Bake in 400 degree oven for 15 to 20 min. or until lightly browned and cooked through. Have strawberries hulled and sliced and sugared in refrigerator. When shortcake is done, cut a piece, split where it is buttered and put in bowl. On 1/2 in bowl, put strawberries on, then cover with second 1/2 and more strawberries. This is when we would use the cream, but you can also use half and half. That is what we use n ow. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!

5 comments:

Hillenblog said...

This is the only Strawberry Shortcake in the world. I remember the first time that I had Strawberry Shortcake somewhere else...like a restaurant. I was so disappointed that it was not THIS strawberry shortcake. Anyone who thinks Strawberry Shortcake should involve little round yellow sponges...I feel sorry for you.

With this and my mom's Cinnamon Roll Recipe...we might never need any other desserts again. Well...Rhubarb Pie.

The Worley's said...

I would like the recipe for the brownies Bec and I always made when I would come over. It was out of some cookbook that you had, maybe a church one? I remember you always had real butter and I wasn't used to that because my mom always bought margarine. They were so good and I get a craving for them every once in a while, plus they bring back so many memories. Thank you for letting me come over so much and for making me feel at home.

Love, Brittany

Unknown said...

When we were in Hollywood I ordered strawberry shortcake for dessert thinking that it would be just like Grandma's, and it was not, to my sore disappointment. I agree, Daddy. This is the only strawberry shortcake in the world. I think I'll make some this week.

Hillenblog said...

Skyler....Made some strawberry shortcake tonight...just like yours mom...she is such a great baker...It was excellent

Becky said...

I concur with hillenblog. It is the best ever!
BEC