Thursday, May 1, 2008

Oatmeal Muffins

My grandkids really like these.

1 cup quick cooking oats
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup sifted flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/3 cup margarine
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg

Combine oats and buttermilk in small bowl. Mix well and let stand 1 hour. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
Cream together margarine and brown sugar in mixing bowl, using electric mixer at medium speed. Add egg; beat until light and fluffy.
Add dry ingredients alternately with oat mixture to creamed mixture, blending well after each addition. Spoon batter into greased muffin-pan, filling 2/3 full. Bake in 400 degree oven 20 min. or until golden brown. Serve warm. Makes 12 to 16 depending on how full you fill muffin tins. I use this recipe when I need a quick bread for dinner. It is another way to get children to eat their whole grains.

6 comments:

hillenblogshappywife said...

I am thrilled you are doing this! I am also so glad that Skyler has inherited your love of baking, as I am not very skilled at it. We will be trying out these recipes, I think Sky already makes the muffins! Love you!

Teri said...

What a great idea! i will be a regular visitor!

Teri

Anonymous said...

Linda, I made these, but I added a little more brown sugar and chocolate chips. They are yummy!
LauraD

Hillengrandma said...

Laura,
Very interesting!! I have always just used them as a bread, never as a dessert. I am glad you liked the recipe. This gives me a new idea.

rachel said...

I made these for breakfast this morning. They were wonderful! You were right about kids liking them, the girls had seconds and asked for thirds. Thanks for all the great recipes, I'm loving your blog.

Becky said...

Okay no brown sugar here. Can I add the maple flavoring you sent with white surgar? We are craving these muffins. And I was able to get a muffin tin tonight. So I want to try it out soon. The kids are asking for them.
BEC