Thursday, May 15, 2008

Red Velvet Cake

Today, my recipe is in honor of my sweet daughter-in-law, Cindy. When I ask her what kind of cake she wants for her birthday, she usually tells me either Red Velvet or Carrot.

1/2 cup Crisco
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 cups sifted flour
1 Tbsp. cocoa
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla
2 oz. red cake color ( Since food color is expensive, I usually use a 1 oz. bottle and then fill the bottle with water and add that, also. Works just fine.)
1 Tbsp. vinegar
1 tsp. soda
Cream shortening, eggs, and sugar thoroughly. Add Dry ingredients. Mix well, alternating with the liquids. Mix vinegar and soda together, stir then add to cake batter. Pour into 2 greased and floured round cake pans. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes in 350 degree oven. Cool thoroughly before frosting.

Frosting:
1 cup milk
1/4 cup flour.
Put flour in small pan. Add just a little bit of milk at a time stirring constantly. Otherwise you will get paste.
Then cook over low heat until it is thickened, then let cool.
Add:
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup granulated sugar
1 stick margarine
1/2 cup Crisco
Beat with mixer until thick and will peak. Frost cake and enjoy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you! I think this is my favorite of all, with the carrot a very close second. It is certainly fun to tell my friends that I know who makes the best red velvet ever!

Anonymous said...

Matt's favorite cake is red velvet but I've never found a really good recipe for it. Thank you so much for sharing yours, I'm sure it's the best.